Our first case in the What’s The Story?-series, and thanks to a collective effort we are very pleased to announce that we have found the date and location for the unbroadcasted ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ 1995 performance. If you missed our previous posts regarding this missing performance, check out these pages; Videolink (Unbroadcasted 1995 acoustic performance) & What’s The Story? #1.
The date of the recording is Friday 18th of August 1995, and the shoot took place in Regents Park, not far from where Noel used to live in Camden at the time.
Here is a short excerpt of an e-mail interview we did with photographer Trevor Ray Hart who took the pictures for the October 1995 issue of Loaded magazine. Interestingly we learned that there were in fact two photo shoots that day; one in Regent’s Park with Noel wearing the Quoasis-shirt, and later that same day of Noel in a check shirt near the MTV studio.
Where did the shoot take place? Looks like a park in London, but we would love to know more specific.
The shoot took place in Regents Park. At the time Noel was living in Camden so it was a short walk to the spot where we shot the first set of images.
Do you know the date for the shoot? This has been heavily debated on Oasis forums, and you might be our best shot at finding it.
It appears to be shot on the 18th August
Did Loaded do the interview before/after MTV? was there any other press there?
The Interview was conducted by Paolo Hewitt who was a popular writer. I believe he spent the whole day with Noel so would have gone to the MTV recording too.
Anything else you can remember from the day?
Noel was very accommodating and we met up after the recording on a street close to the MTV studio to take some more shots, one of which was a cover shot
and another is now in the permanent collection at he National portrait gallery in the UK.
It’s worth noting that although the October 1995 article and interview talks about the Roll With It/Country House singles war with Blur in past tense, the actual photo shoot and acoustic performance took place in the midst of the war. Both singles were released on Monday 14th of August, the photo shoot and MTV performance in Regents Park took place on Friday 18th of August, and the chart results were announced on Sunday the 20th of August. Noel also spends much of the interview (and performance) poking fun at Blur, so all-in-all it fits in nicely in on the time frame. As a special bonus we have uploaded a few more excerpts from the interview with Noel Gallagher done by MTV. Not all the segments from the interview was broadcasted, but unfortunately even our in-house promo VHS is cut short. In the event that anyone out there has access to a full, unedited tape of the full interview (or knows who the interviewer is?) – please get in touch! Anyway, I think we can now close the file on this one. Got any suggestions for other unanswered Oasis mysteries for us to dig into? Use the comments below! Enjoy this video;
A lot of people took the time to submit theories and helpful hints that got us in touch with the right people. We are very grateful for this. Below is a list of people who helped us close the files on this What’s The Story? case. If we have missed anyone, or if we got any of the names wrong please contact us.
– Thanks first and foremost to photographer Trevor Ray Hart for kindly taking the time to answer our questions. Make sure you check out his website and blog for more amazing photos as well!
– Thanks also to Irish photographer Trevor Hart who we contacted first, but who helped us finding the right Trevor Ray Hart.
– Thanks a lot to fans and readers on Oasisarchive.com for invaluable clues. Casino Boogie, Ajito and Ciro all submitted theories, dates and pointed us in the direction of the photographer.
– Thanks to deadman, noelg798 and Rain at the live4ever.us forum for offering help and theories on this topic.
– Thanks to all the Youtube readers who commented or helped us share our video.
– Thanks to Jim from the great rkid003-blog for hosting the audio and spreading the word. Look forward to working with you again in the future, mate!
– Thanks to DavidJay from Supernovaheights for helping us trying to identify the MTV interviewer and countless late night nerdy Oasis-discussions. Check out his excellent Oasis Recording Info website.
– Thanks to Howdo and NoelsOasis from Supernovaheights for general help and hosting a great forum.