This is the first installment in a brand new series here on Oasisarchive called ‘Whats The Story?’, where we try to get to the bottom of unanswered questions from the Oasis history books. It will focus on a variety of subjects, ranging from gig setlists to collectors releases.
The goal is to list every bit of key information we have, in the hopes that the missing pieces will fall into place. The articles in this series will serve as a placeholder and reminder until they are fully answered. New information will be updated or added whenever anything new is uncovered.
Hopefully someone out there knows something we missed, have a picture we haven’t seen, or knows someone who knows someone who just so happened to be involved in it. Anyway, you get the picture.
Please leave a comment below if you know anything, or contact us via e-mail, Twitter or Facebook. We will give full credit to any user who submits valuable information (unless you prefer anonymity).
What’s The Story? #1 – unbroadcasted acoustic MTV performance from 1995
Information wanted/missing: recording date, recording place, any other info
Here is a quick recap of what we do know;
– MTV filmed an outdoor interview, followed by an acoustic performance of ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’, but only broadcasted 30 seconds of the performance back in October 1995. The full acoustic performance was found and uploaded exclusively by Oasisarchive now – nearly 19 years later. Click here for a link to the video.
– The date of filming is believed to be some time between July 23rd and October 1st 1995, but we are looking for the exact date so that we can place it accurately on the Oasis timeline. At one point during the interview Noel refers to ‘some of the European festivals we’ve been to over the summer’, further suggesting that the interview was done after their July tour dates.
– The interview is filmed in Britain. At one point Noel points out that ‘even that building over there [points finger] is inspired by psychedelia I suppose’. It’s shot in a park, probably in London, but we would like a more specific location.
– Segments of the interview has been used in various news reports by MTV over the years. If anyone owns a tape with the full unedited interview, or know who the reporter was, please get in touch.
– The ‘Quoasis’ shirt worn by Noel Gallagher is a reference to a quote by Damon Albarn from a phone-in interview on Radio 1 Breakfast Show in August 1995. He said that due to their repetition of simple chords and phrases, Oasis should call themselves ‘Oasis-Quo’, and goes on to sing a few lines of the Status Quo song ‘ Down Down’. As a reply to this Noel had t-shirts made emblazoned with the ‘Quoasis’. During the outdoor MTV interview Noel goes on to comment on the ‘Quoasis’ shirt by saying Blur ‘are sad for even knowing a Status Quo song for a start…’. These events makes it likely that the interview took place some time in August or September, rather than July.
– It is possible that Noel did more press before or after this MTV interview, as the picture below is taken that same day. Does anyone have any other pictures from this shoot, or know who took them, then please get in touch.